A Sandy Response of Thanks
We have now surpassed the 6-month mark since Hurricane Sandy ravaged the New Jersey and New York shoreline on October 29, 2012. Eight to ten OPC families both in New Jersey and New York were either partially or completely flooded. The call went out for help, and the church has responded. While there is still much work to be done (please don’t stop!) and there are still many OPC families displaced, it is time that we pause to thank the Lord for what He is doing through you.
- Thank you for all those groups and individuals from the OPC, sister denominations and beyond who have rallied to the aid of these brothers and sisters in Christ who have suffered such great loss.
- Thank you to those who have prayed.
- Thank you to those who have worked behind the scenes.
- Thank you to those who have provided hospitality and have given in small ways and big ways.
- Thank you for the almost $150,000 that has been received designated for the Sandy Disaster Response effort. (This does not include the thousands of dollars worth of Home Depot and Lowes gifts cards that have been given directly to our site coordinators both in New York and New Jersey for use in purchasing supplies and building materials for the response effort.)
- Thank you for two committed site coordinators.
- Thank you for those who have returned time and time again to help.
- Thank you for good relations with sister churches who send volunteers and have helped house volunteers.
- Thank you for the contribution of Keswick America for providing free housing to many volunteers.
- Thank you for the ministry of pastors and counselors who have brought encouragement to many suffering.
- Thank you for the effect of using this to strengthen the bonds we have with one another in Christ.
There is still significant work to be done. As you think about your summer plans, consider whether you might have the capacity and gifting to participate in this ministry of mercy in the OPC. Visit the Hurricane Sandy Response page for more details.
Archived Feature Articles
Copyright © 2014, The Orthodox Presbyterian Church. All Rights Reserved.