Today in Church History
Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod
On April 6, 1965 the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod (RPCES) was formed by the merger of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and the Reformed Presbyterian Church, General Synod.
Merger discussions had begun soon after the founding of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (the product of a division in the Bible Presbyterian Church in 1956). The carefully negotiated union took place at Covenant College, in Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. Prominent former members of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church involved in this union included Gordon Clark (of the RPCGS) and J. Oliver Buswell (of the EPC). Ten years later, the RPCES would narrowly vote down an opportunity to unite with the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. In 1982, the seventeen-year-old church became part of the Presbyterian Church in America through the process of "joining and receiving."
- John Muether