CON Contact Us DON Donate
Our History General Assembly Worldwide Outreach Ministries Standards Resources

Question and Answer

Can God forgive my anger against him?


After 20 years my wife left me for another man. I became angry at God and said I didn't want any part of him. I think now I was trying to force God's hand and have him come to my aid, but I was back to church the same week. Now I am in the reformed faith and I understand how foolish I was in saying that. Could God forgive me of that childish rant or have I lost all chance of repenting?


I have the best news any sinner can hear! 1 John 1:9 tells us: "If we confess our sin, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness." Further, Romans 11:29 adds: "For the gift and call of God are without repentance." Malachi reminds us that he is God and he does not change. Now, if you are a believer, as your Reformed theology tells you, you are so by God’s gift and call (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 8:29-30). Therefore, if God has called you, for him to fail to forgive you or not give you the gift of repentance unto life (Acts 11:18), the impossible would have to happen. The God of heaven and earth who has declared, "I am God, I change not," would have to change! Now tell me (and tell yourself too) the answer to your question. As I love to tell the congregation here each Sunday when we confess our sins corporately, "You who have trusted in Christ for salvation, your sins are forgiven you." All of them are forgiven—bar none—for Christ died for all of your sins, past, present and future. They are forgotten.

Finally, I have some sympathy for your former predicament. I am a manipulator (I should say, a futile attempted manipulator) who is well practiced at trying to get God to do things for me. I think he must smile at my weak attempts, just as I smiled at my small children years ago who tried to do things that were impossible for lack of strength. I am truly sorry for your past grief. Now join us, your fellow believers, in rejoicing in the grace of a loving Father in heaven who does no wrong but only good for us.

About Q&A

"Questions and Answers" is a weekly feature of the OPC website. The answers come from individual ministers in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church expressing their own convictions and do not necessarily represent an "official" position of the Church, especially in areas where the Standards of the Church (the Scriptures and the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms) are silent.

The questions come from individuals like yourself. If you have questions about biblical and theological matters, you are invited to send them by e-mail by using the "Pose a Question" link on the OPC home page or by clicking here.

At least one new question is posted each week, so there should always be something new here for you to read. (For those people who would like to look at previous questions and answers, they will continue to be available as well.)

The purpose of the OPC website's "Questions and Answers" is to respond to biblical and theological questions. Matters of church discipline, disputes, or debates go beyond the scope of our work. We recommend that you present your concerns in these areas to the appropriate judicatory. In most cases this will be to a local pastor, elder, or session. We do not want the website to replace personal involvement in, or commitment to, the local, visible church.

While we will respond to every serious questioner, we are not bound to give a substantive answer to every question, should we deem the question to be beyond the scope of our purpose or our own ability to answer.

You will receive an answer by e-mail. Please be patient as many of our respondents are busy pastors. The response to your question may take up to two (2) weeks. Some of the questions submitted will be chosen to be posted here, along with the corresponding answers.

Note that the "Questions and Answers" posted on the site have been edited—all personal references are removed, Scripture references or from some source may be added, and sometimes portions are expanded—to make the questions and answers more useful to a larger audience.

© 2020 The Orthodox Presbyterian Church



Chaplains and Military Personnel

Diaconal Ministries


Inter-Church Relations

Ministerial Care

Planned Giving

Short-Term Missions


Church Directory

Daily Devotional

Audio Sermons

Trinity Hymnal

Camps & Conferences

Gospel Tracts

Book Reviews



Presbyterian Guardian